Oxford’s Finest Punt Station
Punting is a truly timeless, slightly eccentric, quintessentially Oxford, idyllic pleasure.
Take a leisurely punt upstream, about half an hour from us is The Victoria Arms. Past the pub you can punt through beautiful rural country side, ideal for a full day out. Downstream takes you through the lovely University Parks, a great spot for picnics and games with the kids. To travel further in to Oxford you need to tackle the rollers to portage your punt to the lower Cherwell and on to Magdalen college.
Suitable for novices and experts alike, students, corporate parties, families and groups of friends can all experience this quintessential Oxford experience of punting on the river Cherwell. With around 80 boats availability is always good midweek. With weekends being a lot busier, it’s best to arrive early or book in advance.
The way the hire is structured you don’t need to commit to an amount of time. Upon arrival you leave a deposit (or card), we make a note of the time and you go for as long as you like. On your return we’ll stop the clock, calculate how long you’ve been and charge accordingly. We charge a minimum of 1 hour then break it down into quarter hours and call it a day rate of 5 hours if you’re longer.
Availability & Prices
£20 per punt per hour with £100 deposit
Weekdays are usually fairly quiet, so it’s not necessary to book in advance (unless you’d like to).
Weekends are typically a lot busier. You can book in advance or simply turn up. If you can’t see boats available online…don’t worry, we may still have boats available for walk in hire! We find our queuing system works very well.
This is how a hot summer weekend tends to flow…
- We open at 10am
- We never run out of boats before 11am
- It’s unusual to run out before 12pm (noon)
- The current trend is for punts to be available throughout the afternoon with a small chance of a short wait.
- Once we run out we operate a queue much like a supermarket deli counter whereby we give out numbers and call out numbers as and when boats become available.
- We have a nice lawn and benches where you can make yourself comfortable and a Tea Hut where you can get tea, coffee, Pimm’s etc.
- Rarely do people have to wait over an hour and that time passes quickly as you watch others master the art of punting.
- One person can queue on behalf of a party as long as they are equipped to hire the punt/s when their number is called.
- In short, to avoid queuing arrive in the morning. Failing that expect a short wait while you sit by the river in the sun with a jug of Pimm’s (life could be worse).
- Mid-March to mid-October
We stop letting punts out 1 hour before closing time.
All punts must return before closing times:
- Up to the 20th April – 8pm
- 21st April to 30th May – 9pm
- 31st May to 30th July – 10pm
- 31st July to 30th August – 9pm
- 31st August to 25th September – 8pm
- 26th September to end of season – 7pm
Punt Hire Costs:
£20 per hour (min hire time) / £100 full day
Punts fit up to 6 people (5 seated + 1 punter)
Punts are hired out on a time basis or by the day onsite or via our booking platform:
Punts can be collected from the punt office at the front of the Boathouse overlooking the river.
Pre book in advance;
We have punts available for online booking in advance but have kept a good proportion available for walk in customers as we can manage availability best in this way. At busy times you may still have to stand in line with others for your booking to be processed.
If you can’t see boats available online…don’t worry, we still have boats available for walk in hire.
When you arrive you will need to book your punt online. You will be asked for credit/debit card details as a security deposit.
A £100 deposit per boat is held from your account when making a booking. Once the boat is returned safely, without damage or excessive water logging, the balance minus punt hire time is released back to your account. Sometimes it can take up to 5 working days for the funds to be released.
We have around 70 traditional hand crafted punts all made on site as well as rowing boats & Canadian canoes available.
Terms & Conditions
No more than 6 people per punt.
Each punt should be equipped with;
2 large cushions + 2 small cushions + 1 metal pole + 1 paddle.
Punt racing and splashing is not allowed.
Charges will be incurred for excessively water logged or damaged punts.
We are not permitted to hire to anyone under 16 years old.
Non-swimmers are encouraged to wear a life jacket (ask at punt office).
Please enjoy alcohol responsibly when punting.
Booking Link: https://cherwellpunting.co.uk
For Other Inquiries:
Call: +44 01865 515978